FBP V17.1.2 has been released with various fixes and a few new features.
Changes in this release:
- New: Added “Year in Review” posts to the Hide “Shared a Memory” newsfeed filter.
- New: Moved the Hide “Trending Topics” and Hide “Ticker Bar” options to “Hide Right Column Links” section of the FBP options screen.
- New: Option to hide “Moments” link in left column (the option is located under the Hide Left Column Links section of the FBP options screen) Please note, it seems this option is not working for some people. If that is the case, try hovering your mouse pointer over the link then clicking the cogwheel, then select the “remove app” option.
- New: Hide “Recommendations” link option (under the Hide Left Column Links section)
- New: Hide “Create Section” link option (under the Hide Left Column Links section), this option hides all the following: The create section of the new left column design, or all create links on the old left column design (Create Group, Create Advert, Create Page and Create Event)
- New: Hide “Is Typing a Comment” option, hides the little message that appears in the comments section saying “someone is typing a comment” or “a friend is typing a comment”.
- New: Hide “Add Quick Cam Pic Button” chat option (under the Chat Options heading on the FBP options screen)
- New: Hide “Play a Game Button” chat option (under the Chat Options heading on the FBP options screen)
- New: Added the YouTube app to FBP’s default app whitelist, so youtube videos shared directly from the Youtube website (which get posted via the Youtube Facebook app) will no longer be hidden by default.
- New: “Show Image Classifications on Hover” option, (located under the “Photo Stories” section of the FB Purity options screen. Turning this option on will display the image classifications that Facebook’s Artificial Intelligence has automatically assigned to the image when you hover your mouse pointer over the image. (Note this only works on single image posts, and if no classifications have been given to the image, hovering your mouse pointer over the image will not do anything) This is useful if you wish to know what words to put into the Custom Image Content Filter box to hide specific image types that are not available as preset image content filtering options.
- Fixed: Some Background Colour issues, if you have set a background colour with FBP.
- Fixed: Large font for short statuses: If a status is posted and it is under 85 characters long, Facebook increases the font size of the status. This release fixes that, so it returns all statuses to the same font size.
- Fixed: Hiding Ads in Groups (“Suggested for you” / “Sponsored Posts”) if the Hide “Sponsored Box / Stories” option is ticked
- Fixed: Various Hide Left Column Link options for the new left column design, which some people have been lumbered with.
Now that FBP is back in the Chrome Webstore, if you have installed the FBP Chrome extension via the “Inline Install” method (by clicking the green “Install F.B. Purity” button on the FBP Install page) or directly via the Chrome Webstore, you should now receive automatic updates, though you can force an update by turning on “Developer Mode” on the Chrome extensions management page, then clicking the “Update Extensions Now” button (make sure you don’t have any facebook tabs open, so Chrome can unload the existing version first).
To make sure people don’t fall for fake versions of FB Purity, please leave a 5* review for the real F.B. Purity in the Chrome Webstore
All other FBP users can update to the latest version of FB Purity by clicking the green “Install F.B. Purity” button on the FB Purity Install page on FBPURITY.COM and then following the on screen instructions.
Get FB Purity here: http://fbpurity.com
Facebook News that is relevant to all FBP Users
Important News about the “Most Recent” Feed
Facebook has decided to break their “Most recent” newsfeed even more than it was before, they are now bumping old posts that have new comments or new likes and are not labelling those posts as such (i.e. they are no longer putting the “person x liked this” or “person x commented on this” label at the top of the bumped posts, so fbp can no longer filter those bumped posts out) A workaround for this is to use FBP’s manual page Re-Sort function, which you can activate by pressing the “R” key on the keyboard, which will re-sort the currently loaded stories in the feed into their correct chronological order)
Important News about the Edge extension version of FB Purity
As you will know if you use the Edge extension version of FBP, Microsoft Edge annoyingly disables FBP every time you start the browser and you have to re-enable it each time. It does this because FBP is not yet available in the Edge WebStore. There is now a workaround for this issue, which will mean you will not have to re-enable FBP each time you start Edge. The solution is to first install the Tampermonkey extension for Edge, then install the GM Script version of FBP. The full instructions to do this are on the FBP Install page on FBPURITY.COM
Important News for those who have the New Left Column Design
Not everybody has new the left column design (it has different and fewer section headings than the normal design, which include “Shortcuts” and “Explore“. If you have previously hidden the “Apps Section” when you had the old left column design, you should know that this actually hides the “Explore” section in the new left column design. The reason for this is because Facebook re-used the same CSS identifier for the new section. So if you are missing any particular links in the left column, make sure you have un-checked the Hide “Apps Section” option.
If you have the new Shortcuts Section, its basically similar to the old “Favourites” section, and can be edited to suit your preferences. There is an “Edit” link to the top right of this section, and clicking it brings up options for adding links you use frequently or hiding links you no longer want to be shown in that section.
Important News about Facebook’s Interest Lists feature.
Facebook have decided to discontinue the “Interest Lists” functionality due to lack of use by Facebook users. This is why the Interests section no longer shows up in the left column. If you have saved links to any of the Interest Lists you have created, you should still be able to access those for now. Even if you haven’t bookmarked your Interest Lists, you may be able to recover the links to them by going to your browser’s History page and searching for facebook.com/lists that should highlight any of the Interest Lists that you used in the past, you should then bookmark them and perhaps add a folder to your browser’s bookmarks toolbar, then add the links to the lists into that folder for easy access. Another way to access your lost Interest lists is, if you know the name you called the list/s, put the name into the search box at the top of any Facebook page, and if you type the exact name of the list, it should show up as a search result.
Some people are reporting that they can now add Page’s to the other type of lists (Friends Lists) so if you want to make new Interest type Lists, you can try using Friends Lists, but the difference is, apparently that you have to be friends with the people you want to add, and you have to have “Liked” the Pages you want to add to the list.
News about a new Facebook Test – Comment Thread Notifications Popup Tabs
Facebook is testing out a new annoying feature that has apparently only been released to a small group of people so far. Its a new type of popup that occurs when someone comments on a post thread that you have also commented on. It seems, Facebook has added an option to turn off these new popup comment notifications, you can access the option by clicking the cogwheel icon at the bottom right of facebook that controls the chat options, as seen in this screenshot:
If you have any problems with or questions about FBP, please use the available help resources on this website, including the FBP User Guide, and FBP FAQ page which includes a comprehensive Troubleshooting Guide that you should follow if you have any problems.
If you wish to support FB Purity, please Donate to ensure the continuation of this project. Many heartfelt thanks to those who have generously donated! :)
Please also tell all your Facebook friends and family about FBP too, cheers!
Facebook driving you crazy? Don’t get mad, Get FB Purity!
FB Purity Overview
For those who don’t already know, FB Purity is a safe, free and top rated web browser extension for Google Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari, Opera and Maxthon. It lets you clean up the junk and customize Facebook the way you want it to be. It has many cool features, such as hiding all the ads, alerting you when friends un-friend you, letting you change the site’s colours, fonts and background image, it lets you stay on the “Most Recent” feed permanently and lots more. FB Purity has been reviewed and highly recommended in many places including the Washington Post, CNET, PCWorld, MacWorld, GetConnected etc.