FBP v16.0.0 has been released:
FB Purity lets you clean up and Customize Facebook
Before installing the new version, please read the very important information below:
This version means a big change for Firefox v48+ users and also for Chrome users.
Big Change for Firefox v48+ users:
I have converted the FBP FF extension to use a new Firefox extension API, that is compatible with Firefox’s new “Electrolysis” (multi process architecture) feature. This should mean the new version will run more efficiently, and will also mean a few bugs caused by the old extension compiler will be eliminated.
If you already have a version of the FBP FF extension installed and are using FF48 or above, you will need to export your settings from that version, via the “Export Settings” link at the bottom of the FBP options screen, then disable and or uninstall your current version of FBP, before you install this new version, as it has a new internal ID, which means if you try to install this version without disabling or uninstalling the previous version, you will then have 2 separate versions of FBP running at the same time, which will cause lots of problems.
Big Change for Chrome users:
As you may know Facebook forced Google to remove the Chrome extension version of FBP from the Google Chrome Webstore, over a claimed Trademark infringement, which led to the necessity for the awkward and flaky drag and drop install process for the stable version of FBP. Despite me fixing any issues Facebook had with the extension they are not playing ball and are not allowing the original version of the chrome extension back into the webstore.
Unfortunately a scammer has seized the opportunity to take advantage of this situation by uploading 3 fake copies of F.B. Purity to the webstore. The fake versions all have “FB-Purity .Net” in the title. Those versions of FBP are illegal, unsafe and not to be trusted. If you have installed a version of FBP via the Chrome Webstore that has “FB-Purity .Net” in the title, I strongly advise you to uninstall it immediately.
I have contacted Google numerous times to try and get them to remove the fake copies but they are not doing anything, this is extremely frustrating, I will continue to work to get them removed, but its an uphill battle, if you have any suggestions or know anyone at Google who could help with this, please get in touch, thanks.
In the meantime I have created a new version of the FBP Chrome extension with a new internal ID, and uploaded that to the Webstore.
Before updating to the new version of the Chrome extension, you need to Export your existing FBP settings via the “Export Settings” link at the bottom of the FBP options screen, then disable or uninstall FBP on the Chrome extensions management page. Its probably better to uninstall it as it will be less confusing that way. Once you have done that, go to the Install page at INSTALL.FBPURITY.COM and then click the green “Install F.B. Purity” button to install the new version of FBP (v16).
The “Inline Install” system should now work again, which means the “one click” install method is back again, and also means the FBP chrome extension will autoupdate, either on its own when no facebook pages are open, or when you click the “Developer Options” checkbox and then click the “Update Extensions Now” button on the Chrome Extensions management page, when i release new versions of the FBP chrome extension in future.
Please note at present if you search for “F.B. Purity” on the chrome webstore, the fake copies of F.B. Purity are showing up in the search results above the real version, this is because the scammer has generated lots of fake google accounts and left lots of fake 5* reviews on the copied extensions. In order to get the real and safe version of F.B. Purity listed ahead of the fake version, please leave a 5* review for the real F.B. Purity in the Chrome Webstore
Important Info for all FBP Users:
What’s Changed in FBP v16.0.0?
New: Filter photos by image content options (the new options are under the “Photo Stories” heading on the FBP options screen) This functionality relies on Facebook’s internal Artificial Intelligence image recognition system, so it can only filter images by subject if Facebook’s AI has been able to determine what the image contains, sometimes it will not work as it has not detected any computer recognisable objects in the image, and sometimes it will mis-classify objects in an image, image recognition by computers is a very hard problem to solve, but its getting better all the time.
Screenshot showing F.B. Purity’s new Image Content Filtering options
To re-iterate FBP is only filtering images based on the things Facebook’s AI has detected in the images, so this functionality should work most of the time, but it will miss some images where Facebook has not been able to identify the image correctly.
I have included some example subjects some people may want to filter; Cats, Dogs, Selfies, Memes, Babies, Happy Couples, Food and have also included a free text box where you can put a comma separated list of custom subjects that you want to be filtered out. Please note the AI does not currently recognise particular people, like celebrities or politicians, so you will not be able to use this functionality to filter out pictures of Trump or Kanye etc, though you should be able to filter a lot of those out via FBP’s separate”Text Filter” function.
Screenshot showing F.B. Purity’s image content filtering functionality in action.
- New: You can now choose from a selection of Custom Reactions image packs right on the FBP options screen, so theres no need to copy and paste the image Urls any more. This makes the process of setting custom reactions much simpler now.
- New: Option to hide the “Cookies policy” bar (option is under the “Top Nav Bar Options” heading.
- New: Option: “Hide whole left column” ( Located under the “Hide left column links” heading)
- New: Option: “Hide whole right column” ( Located under the “Hide right column links” heading)
- Fixed: The Hide “Sponsored Box / Stories” ad hiding code should now be fixed too, until facebook switch their code around again that is. It should now hide all the ads again and no longer hide legitimate posts and left side panels and cover images on timelines
- Fixed: “News Sort: Most Recent” – This option had stopped working for some people, that should be fixed now.
- Fixed: “Hide send money” button option
- Fixed: Status box hiding behind posts
- Fixed: Hide birthday videos if hide right column birthday option is selected
- Fixed: “Hide Newsfeed” option for people with the new left column design
- Fixed: Facebook “View Live Grid” functionality on https://facebook.com/live that shows the faces of the a large number of the people who are currently live.
- Fixed: The “Clear Ad-prefs” functionality is fixed on the https://www.facebook.com/ads/preferences/?entry_product=ad_settings_screen . If you have a large number of interest categories on your ad prefs page, you may need to run the ad prefs cleaning function a number of times and reload the page between each sweep. I will work on getting this working better, but its better than nothing for now. Its hard to test this as they don’t seem to have included a way to manually add new Interests. Let me know how the new functionality works for you.
- Fixed: Show the “Friends Feed” link under the “Newsfeed“ menu in the left column, for people with the new left column design
Some Current Known Issues:
Due to a facebook code change, that facebook is testing on some people, those people are having an issue with the left column disappearing on Group pages if the “freeze left column” option is selected. If that issue affects you, just turn that option off. A lot of people are wondering how to hide the “Page stories you might like” box, at present I have not figured out a method to hide this. I am not actually getting that box on my account at present, which makes it difficult to code a fix for it.
In certain circumstances the “Export Settings” link will not work on the Chrome extension version of FBP. A workaround for this, is after clicking the “Export Settings” link, click the FBP options screen’s “Save and Close” button, that should trigger the “Export Settings” save dialog to open up.
FBP TIP: Always keep a backup of your FBP settings. You can do this by clicking the “Export Settings” link at the bottom of the FBP Options screen. You should do this in case your settings somehow get wiped, or you want to transfer to using a different browser/different computer. Or want to experiment with resetting your settings to troubleshoot a problem.
If you have any problems or questions with/about FBP, please use the available help resources on this website, including the FBP User Guide, and FBP FAQ page which includes a comprehensive Troubleshooting Guide that you should follow if you have any problems.
If you wish to support FB Purity, please Donate to ensure the continuation of this project. Please also tell all your Facebook friends and family about FBP too, cheers!
Facebook driving you crazy? Don’t get mad, Get FB Purity!
FB Purity Overview
For those who don’t already know, FB Purity is a safe, free and top rated web browser extension for Google Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari, Opera and Maxthon. It lets you clean up the junk and customize Facebook the way you want it to be. It has many cool features, such as hiding all the ads, alerting you when friends un-friend you, letting you change the site’s colours, fonts and background image, it lets you stay on the “Most Recent” feed permanently and lots more. FBP has been reviewed and highly recommended in many places including the Washington Post, CNET, PCWorld, MacWorld, GetConnected etc.